I'm really excited about this recipe. It's the perfect blend of sweet and spicy and offers an alternative to nacho cheese. You can use it as a dip, on tacos, on nachos, or anyway that suits you. I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Spicy Sweet Potato Nacho Sauce
Inspired by blissfulbasil.com
Yields: about 4 cups
1 medium / large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 tsp coconut oil
1 jalapeño, minced (you can play with amounts here depending on your spice preference. I used the whole jalapeño with seeds and I found it mild with a nice spicy finish)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp honey
A pinch of sea salt
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt
Cayenne, to taste
Sliced green onions, for garnish
1. Cook the sweet potatoes in boiling water (takes about 10-15 minutes)
2. Melt the coconut oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add jalapeños, honey, apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of sea salt. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until softened.
3. Strain the sweet potatoes and add to a blender with the minced garlic, water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, sea salt, and about half of the cooked jalapeños. Blend until smooth. Adjust for taste, adding cayenne for a bit more spice if desired.
4. Stir in the remaining jalapeños.
5. Serve garnished with green onions.